JINMEI Tatuya / çæéå wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:00:29 -0400, "Soliman Hesham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

Wait a minute...what's the source on why you think "the spec already
allows for this"?

=> You cut Erik's text which I thought you agreed with, well, the spec
does anyway:

        Why? Per RFC 2461 the per router list is per interface.
        There is an issue for the implementations (probably all
implementations)
        which have a per-node default router list, but from the perspective
        of the RFC 2461 specification it has already punted on all aspects of
        multi-interfaced hosts.

My point here is that just because RFC2461 requires the default router
list to be per-interface basis cannot be the reason why it allows the
"mixed" host-router behavior.  It just means a multi-interface "host"
should manage the default router list per interface basis.

I believe that managing the default router list per interface is necessary for supporting a mixed node. If I recall correctly, Fred Templin asked that very question in Seoul due to some work he was doing.

Perhaps we need to clarify which aspects of 2461 are per-interface
for host-mode and router-mode.  We don't need to tell people how to
implement a mixed-mode box, but we can make state management easier
to understand.

(And I'm feeling I'm a bit confused about what

"this" exactly means).

=> "This" was referring to your suggestion to make sure that we state a mixed node can still receive RAs on the "host" interface.

Understood.  Then we first need to make a decision on the more
fundamental point: whether we should allow the "mixed" behavior in
rfc2461bis.

See point above. I feel that it is useful to clarify the management of state variables for each mode, but not useful to specify how to construct a mixed-mode node.

Regards,
Brian (speaking as a WG member only)