> Hmmm ... since we're dealing with probabilities here, it would
> almost make sense to say "on a media with packet loss probability
> P_loss, send it N times where P_loss ^ N >= P_acceptable".  But
> then we're stuck trying to make a decision about P_acceptable,
> and in any case P_loss is unlikely to be trivially estimable
> (and unlikely to be truly independant ...)

Link layers typically have a base level expected loss rate (For DSL it is
10^-9). Then there's losses due to equipment faults, they would be hard to
estimate by a node just coming on the link. P_acceptable could be estimated
just as retransmit timer values are, and a base line provided. The actual
value would then be configurable depending on link type.

But maybe this is too much detail...

            jak