I will not respond to your other message as you seem to have a
fundamental misunderstanding of the context of the word "send" in the
rate-limiter specification, so any discussion about that would be
useless.

See the clarification below:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Alex Conta wrote:
> Please read the specs before making these statements.

I would ask you to do the same, and taking the context into account.

> The text is clear in the ICMP specs: "...limit bandwidth and forwarding
> costs..."
>
> Please read paragraph (f) page 7 of the ICMP specs, which says:
>
>   (f) Finally, in order to limit the bandwidth and forwarding costs
>       incurred by sending ICMPv6 error messages, an IPv6 node MUST
>       limit the rate of ICMPv6 error messages it sends.
>
> This points me to say that you must be confused, misinformed, or grossly
> misinterpreting.

If you look at the whole section 2.4, it is blindingly obvious that
the word "send" is used to refer to the node *generating* (i.e.,
originating) an ICMP error message (in response to some other packet
doing something illegal), *NOT* in the more generic meaning which
could include forwarding an ICMP error packet it has received from
some other interface.

Do you agree with this?

If you don't, ... I wouldn't me amazed as this seems to be your
fundamental misunderstanding.

If you do, and re-read the whole section again keeping that in mind,
and (f) in particular, you should be able to tease it apart:

 - "in order to limit the bandwidth and forwarding costs *incurred
by* sending ICMPv6 error messages"

Note the word "incurred".  At least in my book, this does not require
that these forwarding/bandwidth costs happen on the node that is
generating the ICMP packet.

In other words, the algorithm is specified to reduce the number of
ICMPv6 messages which backbone routers etc. will have to forward over
the Internet, not so such the bandwidth of the generating node (note
that there isn't even a "forwarding cost" of generating an ICMPv6
message, it's generation and sending cost).  [the byproduct, of
course, is that the node originating ICMPv6 errors doesn't waste all
of its resources sending huge amounts of ICMPv6 errors]

 - "an IPv6 node MUST limit the rate of ICMPv6 error messages it
sends."

Note the word *sends* and its context.  This specifies that ICMPv6
error messages must not be *generated* without limiting.  This
specifies nothing of routers *forwarding* received ICMPv6 messages.

Do you agree?

Whether you agree with this or not, I guess we'll need to reword some
of the text to avoid confusing ICMPv6 error *generation* rate-limiters
to *generic* (ICMPv6) rate-limiters (which you keep referring to)
which are completely out of scope of this specification.

Removing pretty much everything relating to bandwidth could probably
be a good start, and using the word "originate" instead of "send".