The key is the ongoing debate of stateless vs stateful and members
working their agendas for their products.  The bottom line is the users
will use stateful and stateless and we need a way to permit that and
also inform implementors that both stateful and stateless are required
for clients.  That is the bottom line.  How we say it seems to be still
a debate.
/jim