>Why do you think this is important and what problem does it solve?

This appears to be the key. Maybe I am missing something, but aren't flow labels
possibly looked at and used at hops in between the src and dst? If the flow label is
changed/hacked along the way, isn't the damage (not going to try and quantify damage
here because that really depends on what the hops do based on the value) already done
before the destination is in a position to determine if the packet is compromised? If
100% security is desired, then somehow the flow label needs to be verifiable at each
hop (in the hop by hop header). Not sure how likely this is.

So while it seems like a good thing to protect this  field in the ICV computation, I
am not sure that any value that can be realized is worth the potential of incompatible
versions not being able to communicate in a secure way when flow labels are being
used. If you do want to change the spec, then maybe another option is needed that
tells the DST if the flow label is being included in the ICV or not.

--rich

thanks
/jim