On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 11:54:07AM -0800, Bill Fenner wrote:

> 3.  Limitations
>
>    The usefulness of a URI or IRI using a literal scoped address is
>    obviously limited to systems within the same scope.  The addition of
>    the zone identifier further limits the usefulness to the system on
>    which the URI or IRI was generated, since zone IDs are completely
>    local to a given host.  Therefore, care must be taken to not pass
>    these URIs between systems.

This phrase "passing URIs between systems" never made me really happy.
I believe there are valid reasons to pass even URIs with zone IDs.
The point is I think that the interpretation of such URIs is only
meaningful on a given system or set of systems which understand the
semantics of the zone ID.

Looking at the SNMP URI as an example: It might be totally OK to have
a manager which understands the zones within a network and which sends
a properly constructed URI including a zone ID to a box for consumption
on that box.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder               International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>     P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany