> From: Jeroen Massar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Thus that applications should be using multiple sockets, one
> for IPv4 and one for IPv6 and one for whatever follows.

I strongly object to this. There are other socket api's which don't
have the Unix inherited drawbacks. For such, the recommendation is
exactly the opposite: the same socket works just fine for IPv4 and
IPv6, and in unifying the application code to work for both, IPv4
mapped address format is very useful tool.

There is no reason for application to care at all whether actual
connection is over IPv4 or IPv6.