Hi All,

Allison had the following comment to the ICMPv6 draft as
part of the IESG review:

> 1. IPSec processing considerations about ICMP are enough
>    different in the bis ESP and AH specs that I think this
>    document should update to require these (just approved).

I looked at ESP and AH old and bis RFCs.  The section on
how to handle ICMP packets is not part of those RFCs.  The
section "ICMP Processing" was actually part of 2401 and
now 2401bis.  So I guess, we need to modify the text in
ICMP RFC and add 2401bis to the reference list.

I have the following questions/concerns:

- Should 2401bis be a normative reference or informative?
  If normative, can we wait till 2401bis is approved?

- ICMP RFC has a "MAY" requirement for configuring a node
  to ignore unauthenticated ICMP packets but 2401bis has
  a "MUST" requirement for the same thing.  Are we not in
  conflict ?

- ICMP RFC (section 5.1) briefly describes how the ICMP
  packets should be processed in conjunction with ESP/AH
  headers.  2401bis has a section "ICMP processing" (6.1)
  that describes the same thing in great detail.  Should
  ICMP RFC just say that the processing rules are given
  in 2401bis ?

Regards
Mukesh