Hi Alex,

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:58:44 +0100
Alexandru Petrescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Brian Haberman wrote:
>
> > My experience with ethernet cards and drivers is that if they don't
> > have multicast capability, they map MAC addresses with the group bit
> > on to FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF prior to transmit.
>
> Yep but about the transmitter that _does_ have the multicast capability
> and the receiver that does not have the multicast capability.
>
> > On the receive side, these cards would go into promiscuous receive
> > mode and then filter at the device driver.
>
> Yes but what about cards that can't go into promiscuous receive mode.  I
> understand that promiscuous mode is probably the easiest way for a card
> to do, but from my experience not all cards can do promiscuous mode.

Do you have examples of such hardware / chipsets ? I'd think it'd have
to be really, really old not to have basic multicast and promiscous
capabilities. I'd wonder about the value of introducing layer 2
broadcasts into IPv6 just to cater for such old and rare hardware.

Regards,
Mark.

--

    The Internet's nature is peer to peer.