Hi,

Here is what I hope is the final text that specifies the deprecation of the "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address". Included below are the revised sections "IPv6 Addresses with Embedded IPv4 Addresses" and "IANA Consideration".

Please review.  I hope to submit an update draft tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bob

2.5.5 IPv6 Addresses with Embedded IPv4 Addresses

   Two types of IPv6 addresses are defined that carry an IPv4 address in
   the low-order 32 bits of the address.

2.5.5.1 IPv4-Compatible IPv6 Address

   The first termed an "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" was defined to
   assist in IPv6 transition.  The format of "IPv4-compatible IPv6
   address" is:

   |                80 bits               | 16 |      32 bits        |
   +--------------------------------------+--------------------------+
   |0000..............................0000|0000|    IPv4 address     |
   +--------------------------------------+----+---------------------+

   Note: The IPv4 address used in the "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address"
   must be a globally-unique IPv4 unicast address.

   The "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" is now deprecated because the
   current IPv6 transition mechanisms no longer use them.  New or
   updated implementations are not required to support this address
   type.  Existing implementations and deployments may continue to use
   these addresses.

2.5.5.2 IPv4-Mapped IPv6 Address

   A second type of IPv6 address which holds an embedded IPv4 address is
   also defined.  This address type is used to represent the addresses
   of IPv4 nodes as IPv6 addresses.  This type of address is termed an
   "IPv4-mapped IPv6 address" and has the format:

   |                80 bits               | 16 |      32 bits        |
   +--------------------------------------+--------------------------+
   |0000..............................0000|FFFF|    IPv4 address     |

   See [RFC4038] for background on the usage of the "IPv4-mapped IPv6
   address".

4. IANA Considerations

   The "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" is deprecated by this document.
   The IANA should continue to list the address block containing this
   address as "Reserved by IETF" and not reassigned it for any other
   purpose.

   Update the references for the IPv6 Address Architecture in the IANA
   registries to this RFC when published.