JINMEI Tatuya wrote:

Was there an analysis of the configuration consistency rule
(section 5.6) of accepting the most recent information, while
trying to secure both DHCPv6 and ND/addrconf (SEND)?

As far as I know, there was no such analysis. But honestly speaking, I don't understand the point of the question. In my understanding, this rule is not for security, but about how to deal with configuration errors of servers/routers. Whether or not ND is secured with SEND and/or DHCPv6 is secured with its authentication mechanism, inconsistency due to configuration errors can happen, and the same rule should apply (as described in Section 5.6) in that case.

Does this simple answer address your question? If not, please explain
the point (that I could not understand). If it does, do you want to
update the draft regarding this issue? E.g., do you want to emphasize
that this is not for security and the rule should apply whether or not
ND/DHCPv6 is secured? Or can we just leave the text as is?

I can't speak for Allison, but looking at Section 5.6 and thinking
about this in the context of security, I actually do see an issue
in the current text. The current text is:

  It is possible for hosts to obtain address information using both the
  stateless protocol and DHCPv6 since both may be enabled at the same
  time.  It is also possible that the values of other configuration
  parameters such as MTU size and hop limit will be learned from both
  Router Advertisements and DHCPv6.  If the same configuration
  information is provided by multiple sources, the value of this
  information should be consistent.  However, it is not considered a
  fatal error if information received from multiple sources is
  inconsistent.  Hosts accept the union of all information received via
  the stateless protocol and DHCPv6.  If inconsistent information is
  learned from different sources, the most recently obtained values
  always have precedence over information learned earlier.

The issue with this is that when we have inconsistent information,
it may make sense to consider the security of the information source
along with how recent the information is. You might turn on
security for ND but not for DHCP, due to software availability
or other reasons. The SEND specification actually goes to great
length to explain how it works when you have multiple routers
and environments with varying support for SEND.  Something
similar may be needed here.

I would suggest rephrasing the last sentence of 2462bis draft
as follows:

  If inconsistent information is learned from different sources,
  information learned securely from sources SHOULD have
  precendence over information learned without protection.
  For instance, Section 8 of RFC 3971 discusses how to deal
  with information learned through Secure ND conflicting
  with information learned through plain ND. Where there
  is no security difference, the most recently obtained values
  SHOULD have precedence over information learned earlier.

--Jari