Hi Margaret,
  Thanks for the comments. Please see my replies inline.

Thanks
Suresh

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

I think that sometihng went wrong with the structure of this document:

Table of Contents

  1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
    1.1   Problem Statement  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
    1.2   Conventions used in this document  . . . . . . . . . . . .  5

Why is the RFC 2119 section inside the problem statement?

It is just another sub section under introduction to the document and is not under the problem statement. I can move this to a separate section if you feel strongly about this.

2. Background . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 2.1 Extended Use of the Same Identifier . . . . . . . . . . . 6 2.2 Address Usage in IPv4 Today . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7 2.3 The Concern With IPv6 Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 2.4 Possible Approaches . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9

Is section 2 supposed to be part of the problem statement?

The problem statement is a concise description of the threat model we are defending against. Section 2 is a much more detailed study of the problems involved. The problem statement was created to provide the reader with some context as to why the document is needed. So the problem statement is a summary of sorts of section 2.

3.  Protocol Description

  The goal of this section is to define procedures that:

  1.  Do not result in any changes to the basic behavior of addresses
      generated via stateless address autoconfiguration [ADDRCONF].
  2.  Create additional global scope addresses based on a random
      interface identifier for use with global scope addresses.

What is meant by "for use with global addresses"? is this intended
to be a restriction on how/when privacy addresses can be used?

This is not an intended restriction. I can reword it to read

"2. Create additional addresses based on a random interface identifier for
    the purpose of initiating outgoing sessions"

instead of

"2. Create additional global scope addresses based on a random
   interface identifier for use with global scope addresses.Such
   addresses would be used to initiate outgoing sessions."

Does that sound OK?

3.1 Assumptions

  The following algorithm assumes that each interface maintains an
  associated randomized interface identifier.  When temporary addresses
  are generated, the current value of the associated randomized
  interface identifier is used.  The actual value of the identifier
  changes over time as described below, but the same identifier can be
  used to generate more than one temporary address.

  The algorithm also assumes that for a given temporary address, an
  implementation can determine the prefix from which it was generated.
  When a temporary address is deprecated, a new temporary address is
  generated.  The specific valid and preferred lifetimes for the new
  address are dependent on the corresponding lifetime values set for
  the prefix from which it was generated.

These two paragraphs are confusing to me. The node maintains a
  random IID from which multiple addresses can be generated of the
  form <prefix, IID>, right?  These addresses will become deprecated
  when their lifetime expires, and new addresses will be generated.
  The implementation keeps track of what prefix was used to generate
  the addres and generates a new address for that prefix, right?
  Does it also need to generate a new random IID when this happens?
  In other words, is there anything in this mechanism that prevents
  generating the same privacy address again on the same interface
  using the same prefix and the same random IID (if it hasn't expired
  yet)?

The mechanism certainly allows this behavior but it kind of defeats the purpose(to not have a stable interface identifier). The requirement to change the random interface identifier is a SHOULD and is described in section 3.5

" Nodes following this specification SHOULD generate new temporary
  addresses on a periodic basis.  This can be achieved automatically by
  generating a new randomized interface identifier at least once every
  (TEMP_PREFERRED_LIFETIME - REGEN_ADVANCE - DESYNC_FACTOR) time units."

If you think this is should be a stronger requirement I can change it to a MUST at the cost of breaking backward compatibility. Let me know what you prefer.