On 27-mei-2005, at 14:56, Bernie Volz ((volz)) wrote:

I think if we come to agreement on having no distinction between the
bits, we should deprecate one of the bits (O-bit?); though for backwards compatibility, we can't remove/reassign it until many years from now (if
ever).

I think having M = 0, O = 1 would be useful as an indication that clients should use the simplified stateless DHCPv6 rather than the full DHCPv6.

And I would object to any deprecation on the basis that there isn't enough operational experience to be able to make a good decision.