> 1   1   send Solicit               send Information-Request

But what happens if the stateful server is down and stateless is
running? Though I would never recommend that a link have both of these
types of servers.

We could easily resolve this by adjusting the DHCPv6 protocol as
proposed (ie, stateful and stateless servers can respond to Solicit with
Advertise with just other configuration parameters).

Then, if people feel that there is value in having the two bits, all
will work.

Of course, there is the issue that the stateful server is down and later
returns, but I would argue that it would be a BAD idea to run BOTH a
stateful and stateless server on a single link -- run ONE type or the
OTHER; not both!

We really want to communicate three states in terms of the DHCPv6
service available on the link: No DHCPv6, Stateful DHCPv6, and Stateless
DHCPv6 -- not 4. Note that this says nothing about what a client
supports (if the client can only do stateless, that's all it can do!).
Clients would run DHCPv6 unless the "No DHCPv6" is set.

So, perhaps we should deprecate M=1 *AND* O=1. Clients should always run
DHCPv6 if EITHER M = 1 OR O = 1. If M=1, run stateful (if supported,
stateless otherwise). If O=1, run stateless (if supported).

In any case, I would still fix the DHCPv6 protocol to allow Advertises
to return other configuration parameters when no addresses are available
AND to require stateless DHCPv6 servers to support Solicit (with
Advertise with just other configuration parameters).

I still believe deprecating the 2nd bit (O) is better.

- Bernie