On 27-mei-2005, at 15:30, da Silva, Ron wrote:

One of the permutations missing in your algorithm is if a device is
configured for always-full-DHCPv6 on an interface AND it receives RA
with AAC set...I presume in that case the device would get multiple
addresses, right?

Like Ralph, I didn't include those because stateless autoconfiguration happens independent from DHCPv6.

But now that you ask...

Over in shim6/multi6 we're thinking about multihoming mechanisms where security is derived from "hash-based addresses": the hash over certain information is used as an interface identifier. It would be nice to be able to implement all of this in middleboxes rather than / in addition to hosts, but then we need to have a way to assign a specific address to a host. In order to provide "legacy" IPv6 connectivity we need to do stateless address autoconfig, but it would be nice if we could make the hosts in question ignore those addresses and just use the hash-based one obtained from a DHCP server.

(Note that the above goes several steps further than the official wg consensus, just thinking ahead.)

I guess there are two ways to do this: an ND/RA option that tells a host how to use stateless autoconfig and/or DHCP derived addresses, or a DHCPv6 option that does the same. I.e., such an option could tell the host "don't use stateless autoconfig".

Thinking about this stuff, I wondered:

- how does the DHCP server know which prefixes are on-link for the host?

- what happens when the DHCP server assigns an address that the router doesn't recognize as on-link?