Hi IPv6 hackers,

Recent GbE NICs or GbE switches support Jumbo Frames, but RFC2464
provides that the maximum MTU of an Ethernet is 1500.  So we cannot
use the Jumbo Frames for IPv6.

2.  Maximum Transmission Unit

   The default MTU size for IPv6 [IPV6] packets on an Ethernet is 1500
   octets.  This size may be reduced by a Router Advertisement [DISC]
   containing an MTU option which specifies a smaller MTU, or by manual
   configuration of each node.  If a Router Advertisement received on an
   Ethernet interface has an MTU option specifying an MTU larger than
   1500, or larger than a manually configured value, that MTU option may
   be logged to system management but must be otherwise ignored.

For example, on FreeBSD 5.4R, to send a Jumbo Frames of IPv4, I just
only set the link MTU with ifconfig command.  To send a Jumbo Frames
of IPv6, I had to hack a kernel code to not compare link MTU with
ETHERMTU(1500).

   BTW, Jinmei san suggested that KAME, NetBSD and OpenBSD are already
   hacked as above and this behavior may be only FreeBSD problem.
   But, according to RFC2464, FreeBSD behavior is right, and other
   BSDs is wrong.

I know that this Jumbo Frames of GbE violates a specification of IEEE
802.3.  But it is deploied already, and is used for a high performance
application like the file servers.  Does anyone have a plan to change
the rule of RFC2464?

Ryota Hirose
Yamaha Corporation