On 27-jul-2005, at 11:28, Pekka Savola wrote:

Requirement 1 simply says "DHCP is not available"; it doesn't say "do
not try to find it".

I disagree. On some networks it's inappropriate to try to use DHCPv6.

For the purposes of this (requirements) dicussion, I think it would be useful if you could describe these "some networks" and elaborate why trying to use DHCPv6 would be inappropriate.

It wastes bandwidth, which may be an issue on some link types. (I think someone mentioned 3G here.) It also uses up other resources needlessly, such as multicast slots in NICs. Doing DHCPv6 when there is no legitimate DHCPv6 server makes it easier for attackers to use rogue DHCPv6 servers to inject false configuration information into hosts.