Hi Iljitsch, Perry,

I'll admit I haven't been fully following your thread of discussion,
I've been a bit busy on some other things (another reason why I like the
simple solution - less thinking :-) )

Something to keep in mind for your solution. TCP announces the maximum
segment size it can receive in the SYN or SYN/ACK segments, and I'm
pretty sure these days that is derived directly from the (current) MTU
value of the interface it is going to use at the time of the 3-way
handshake. I'm pretty sure that irrespective of if PMTUD (or another
local link method) discovers a larger possible PMTU value at a later
time during the TCP connection, existing TCP connections will not be
able to "burst" up to it.

Assuming that you're not planning to modify TCP as well, this means that
the knowledge of the "best" possible MTU that TCP can use must be known
at the time of the initial 3-way handshake. This limitation possibly
applies to other unicast or semi-unicast transport layer protocols too,
such as SCTP.

Thinking about these solutions another way, all they're really
attempting to do is to take the TCP-specific MSS mechanism, generalise
it so it can be used for all transport layer unicast connections, and
moving the mechanism to the network layer.

Regards,
Mark.