From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of ext Abhijit
Chaudhary (abchaudh)
Sent: 04 August, 2005 08:23
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: IPv6 Service Discovery

Hi,
I have question regarding IPv6 auto service discovery.

Suppose a IPv6 Mobile Host comes and joins a network. Using Stateful or
Stateless Address Configuration mentioned in ICMPv6 Router  Advertisement
message it gets a IPv6 address.
But if the mobile host want to know the nearest printer IP address or the proxy
address or DNS server address (i.e, IP address of Responder  mentioned in
draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-12.txt).
Is there any draft or RFC that talks about a procedure to get information about
Server providing application Service for IPv6?

If not, I am of the impression that we can add a new option to Router
Advertisement message called "Application Service Discovery Proxy". This option
will contain the IPv6 address and Link-Layer address of the "Application
Service Discovery Proxy". This proxy will contain all the information of the
available application service in the network and the corresponding servers. The
new option will look as below:

      |     Type         |    Length             |            Reserved

      |           IPv6 Address of Application  Service Discovery Proxy         |
      +

      |  +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ |

      ~         Link-Layer Address of  Service Discovery Proxy

The Message Exchange is described below:

1) Router Advertisement will contain the Application Service Discovery Proxy
Option
                                  "Router Advertisement with Application
Service Discovery Proxy Option"
                 Router
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
 Host

2) Host gets the Address of the Application Service Discovery Proxy and stores
it. Suppose, the host wants printing service, it uses some protocol (maybe UDP
or XML over HTTP or ICMPv6) to discover services from the Application Service
Discovery Proxy.
    For Printing service the message as below:
                                        "Give me printer service address"
           1.     Host
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  Application Service Discovery Proxy

"Printer IPv6 address = x, Printer LL address = y"
           2.     Application Service Discovery Proxy
 Host

                                           "Sends data to be printed"
           3.     Host

Let me know what you guys feel about it.

Thanks,
- Abhijit