Hi Nick

Nick 'Sharkey' Moore wrote:
G'day Theo,

I was wondering though, that assuming in a net where the AR has to deal with hundreds or thousands of nodes on the link (i.e. the replenishment rate of new nodes - with the total staying roughly the same - (as the case may be for mobile nodes under MIPv6), how is the AR supposed to deal with 'remembering' the LLA of all the nodes' LLA if the overiding flag is set to zero (O=0)?.

Well, it's not easy being a router.  Yes, if there's a collision with
an address which is already in the AR's NC, OptiDAD will fail ... see
Appendix A for a discussion of the probabilities of that, though.

I did not imply a collision probability at all. My question was "how does it remember all LLAs if they are not stored in the NC - since the NC entries are not overriden each with the respective LLA). Let me show an example. Consider:

You have N nodes that try to do OptiDAD. All of them do not send their LLA in the NS. Now that implies N unicast NSs, initiated by the AR towards these N nodes and a respective N number of NeighAdverts back to the AR each with a different LLA.

HOW will the AR "remember" each these LLA if they are _NOT_ stored each in a NCE (since the overriding flag is not set) during DAD resolution??

Typically for forwarding purposes the ND must first acquire the LLA from the respective NCE of the relevant node in order to do the MAC forwarding on the link. How is _this_ forwarding going to be effected (i.e. downstream) IF each NCE does not contain each of the N nodes' LLAs.

I would imagine that the LLAs as forwarding state must be stored somewhere and used subsequently for forwarding. Where are these LLAs stored (other than NC) during the period of DAD resolution?

many thanks
t.

--
theo