Elwyn Davies wrote:

Some comments:

<<snip>>
s6.4.1: [wish list] It occurs to me with the mention of tunnels that a Qtype to find out about the addresses associated with (e.g.) configured tunnels would be useful (v6 in v4 for example).

Brian asked me to propose some text for this. Here is my suggestion - adds an 'E' flag to the two Node Address queries ('E' stands for Encapsulated). These two additions would allow a querier to find out what 'inner' tunnel addresses were in use on a node - these are the tunnel interface addresses of the node which are in addition to the direct interfaces.

The updated text (scetins 6.3/6.4/6.4.1 is:
6.3.  Node Addresses

 The NI Node Addresses Query requests some set of the Responder's IPv6
 unicast addresses.  The Reply Data is a sequence of 128-bit IPv6
 addresses, each address preceded by a separate 32-bit TTL value, with
 Preferred addresses listed before Deprecated addresses [9], but
 otherwise in no special order.  Six flag bits are defined in the
 Query, and seven in the Reply.

  0                   1                   2                   3
  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
 |            Qtype=3            |       unused    |E|G|S|L|C|A|T|

 Figure 3: Node Information Address Query

 o  G - If set to 1, Global-scope addresses [10] are requested.

 o  S - If set to 1, Site-local addresses [10] are requested.
    However, Site-local addresses are now deprecated [14] and this
    flag is for backwards compatibility.

Crawford & Haberman     Expires February 20, 2006               [Page 9]

Internet-Draft              ICMP Name Lookups                August 2005

 o  L - If set to 1, Link-local addresses [10] are requested.

 o  C - If set to 1, IPv4-compatible and IPv4-mapped addresses [3] are
    requested.  As the IPv4-compatible addresses are now deprecated,
    this flag is for backwards compatibility with older
    implementations,

 o  A - If set to 1, all the Responder's unicast addresses (of the
    specified scope(s)) are requested.  If 0, only those addresses are
    requested which belong to the interface (or any one interface)
    which has the Subject Address, or which are associated with the
    Subject Name.

 o  T Defined in a Reply only, indicates that the set of addresses is
    incomplete for space reasons.

 o  E - If set to 1, tunnel end-point addresses are requested. This
    requests the 'inner' addresses of tunnels (v6 in v6 and/or v6 in v4,
    depending on the type of the Subject field) terminating on the node.
    This is treated as a 'scope' for the purposes of the 'A' flag.  If
    the subject is a Name then all IPv6 tunnel addresses are returned;
    otherwise only addresses for tunnels with the same type of 'outer'
    address as the Subject.

 Flags G, S, L, C, A and E are copied from a Query to the corresponding
 Reply.

 The TTL associated with each address MUST be zero.

6.4.  IPv4 Addresses

 The NI IPv4 Addresses Query requests some set of the Responder's IPv4
 unicast addresses.  The Reply Data is a sequence of 32-bit IPv4
 addresses, each address preceded by a 32-bit TTL value.  Two flag bits
 are defined in the Query, and three in the Reply.

  0                   1                   2                   3
  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
 |            Qtype=4            |       unused            |E|A|T|

 Figure 4: Node Information IPv4 Address Query

 o  A - If set to 1, all the Responder's unicast addresses are
    requested.  If 0, only those addresses are requested which belong
    to the interface (or any one interface) which has the Subject
    Address.

 o  T Defined in a Reply only, indicates that the set of addresses is
    incomplete for space reasons.

 o  E - If set to 1, tunnel end-point addresses are requested. This
    requests the 'inner' addresses of tunnels (v4 in v4 and/or v4 in v6,
    depending on the type of the Subject) terminating on the node.  Only
    tunnel end-point addresses are returned if this flag is set. If
    the subject is a Name then all IPv4 tunnel addresses are returned;
    otherwise only addresses for tunnels with the same type of 'outer'
    address as the Subject.

 Flags  A and E are copied from a Query to the corresponding Reply.

 The TTL associated with each address MUST be zero.

6.4.1.  Discussion

 It is possible that a node may treat IPv4 interfaces and IPv6
 interfaces as distinct, even though they are associated with the same
 hardware.  When such a node is responding to an NI Query having a
 Subject Address of one type requesting the other type, and the Query
 has the A flag set to 0, it SHOULD consider IP interfaces, other than
 tunnels, associated with the same hardware as being the same
 interface.  If tunnel addresses are requested, the addresses returned
 SHOULD be the 'inner' addresses of any tunnels terminating on the same
 Hardware.

Regards,
Elwyn