Francis,

,----[RFC 3849]----
|    This assignment implies that IPv6 network operators should add this
|    address prefix to the list of non-routeable IPv6 address space, and
|    if packet filters are deployed, then this address prefix should be
|    added to packet filters.
`----

Packet filters are an interdiction; a deny typically always sends an ICMPv6
Destination Unreachable, Admin Prohibited.

>    You shouldn't see the documentation prefix in the src or dst of any packet.
>
> => this is not true at all: inside a documentation site the documentation
> prefix is virtually routed. BTW it is not a /64 but a /32.

I should have been clearer, inside the DFZ you shouldn't see the documentation
prefix.

You also probably shouldn't see it within a site, but that's why the RFC
recommends adding it to filters, to stop it leaking out.

>    Placing a requirement directly on routers is a lot tougher than placing a
>    requirement on the operators. To support the current wording, every router
>    vendor would have to update their code,
>
> => no, this needs only configuration.

I'm glad that was the intended behaviour.

A.

--
Alun Evans
IOS Software Engineer, cisco Systems.