Pekka,

On Mon 26 Sep '05 at 14:05 Pekka Nikander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Avun,
>
>> but I think it would be preferable if this section:
>>
>> ,----
>> | 3.  Routing Considerations
>> |
>> |    Keyed Hash Identifiers are designed to serve as identifiers  rather
>> |    than locators.  Therefore, routers SHOULD NOT forward any packets
>> |    containing a KHI as a source or a destination address.  If the
>> |    destination address is a KHI but the source address is a valid
>> |    unicast source address, an ICMP Destination Unreachable,
>> |    Administratively Prohibited message MAY be generated.
>> |
>> |    Note that while KHIs are designed to be non-routable at the IP  layer,
>> |    there are ongoing research efforts for creating overlay  routing for
>> |    these kinds of identifiers.  For example, the Host Identity
>> |    Indirection Infrastructure (Hi3) proposal outlines a way for  using a
>> |    Distributed Hash Table to forward HIP packets based on the Host
>> |    Identity Tag.
>> `----
>>
>> was rewritten a lot more like RFC3849 (IPv6 Docu Prefix), Section 3
>> Operational Implications.
>
> I am really open to changing the wording; please provide a ready
> thought suggestion.
>
>> Placing a requirement directly on routers is a lot tougher than placing a
>> requirement on the operators. To support the current wording, every router
>> vendor would have to update their code, and then every customer would have
>> to upgrade every single router. This of course, would then have to be
>> possibly undone come January 1st 2009.
>
> What comes this concern, I tried to write the text in such a way that
> a simple configuration change would be sufficient, i.e., configure
> the router not to forward the packets, and possibly have it return
> ICMP unreachable.  I certainly didn't intend to require routers to be
> changed; that is unrealistic.

Excellent! That was the concern I'd had about the wording.

c.f. the RFC 3513 (Address Arch) loop-back and unspecified checks which are
hard-coded in.

> Indeed, if the prefix was allocated from 1000::/4 as suggested, then I think
> most router configurations would already now do the right thing.  But I may
> also be way off here; I'm mostly out of touch with current IPv6 operational
> matters.

I think you are almost correct.

Following Gert's rules [http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/ipv6-filters.html]
1000::/4 would certainly be non-routeable.

However, that would only result in an ICMPv6 Destination Unreachable, No
Route.

As for the source address, I think it's likely the operator would be using
RPF, which is a silent drop for us.

You could just pull in the text from the Documentation Prefix RFC:

3.  Routing Considerations

   Keyed Hash Identifiers are designed to serve as identifiers rather than
   locators.  Therefore, IPv6 network operators SHOULD add the KHI prefixes to
   the list of non-routeable IPv6 address space, and if packet filters are
   deployed, then this address prefix should be added to packet filters.

Thus if the router generating the default route has a packet filter, you'd get
the desired behaviour with respect to the Admin Prohibited message.

However, I'd think it unlikely that packet filters are deployed, I
think operators tend to rely on Forward and Reverse lookups.

A.

--
Alun Evans
IOS Software Engineer, cisco Systems.