Agreed. However, if it is mandatory then there is more of a leg to stand on in
requiring it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pekka Savola [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 8:50
To: Pashby, Ronald W CTR NSWCDD-B35
Cc: Jari Arkko; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Solicit comments on
draft-pashby-ipv6-network-discovery-00.txt

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Pashby, Ronald W CTR NSWCDD-B35 wrote:
> Yes, but that is experimental so it is not mandatory to implement
> either. So, again I say there is no mandatory way in which a network
> management application can reliably discover IPv6 networks. This is
> why the draft recommends making IND mandatory.

Yes, so we get back to the main point.  It's not really the IETF's
business to mandate or not mandate certain protocols for
implementation.  If you put it as a requirement in your CFF's, you're
likely going to get a better response.

In other words, if you can convince the vendors and other users that a
feature is really useful, it's going to be implemented... if you
can't, then it's probably better than an IETF mandate which the
vendors can (and _do_) ignore in any case.