From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John
Spence
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 7:31 PM
To: 'Fred Baker'
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Question about the need for a "Router Alert Option" (RFC
2711)within a Hop-By-Hop Option Extension Header (RFC 2460) ...

Sorry - that fired too fast.

RFC 2711 also references RFC 2460, so it was built for the H-B-H extension
header.  Also, if you look at RFC 3810 (MLDv2), it also references the
Router Alert Option and says:

All MLDv2 messages described in this document MUST be sent with a link-local
IPv6 Source Address, an IPv6 Hop Limit of 1, and an
IPv6 Router Alert option [RFC2711] in a Hop-by-Hop Options header.  (The
Router Alert option is necessary to cause routers to examine MLDv2 messages
sent to IPv6 multicast addresses in which the routers themselves have no
interest.)

So, I still don't understand the Router Alert Option, but I see a number of
places where it is referenced.

        [[Spence]]