[Dropping HIP WG from CC; still including IPv6 though...]

My understanding is that these are not routable addresses. That is, they won't appear in routing protocol exchanges or routing tables. If that is the case, then we are talking about the allocation of something different than IPv6 addresses.

you are right: not only they are not routable but they should be easy to be recognized as not routable.

To clarify: if we decide to define this prefix, it will mean that the particular prefix will be generally unavailable for routing, as there will be hosts that will use the prefix at the API level. Consequently, if you want to talk to those hosts, you cannot use the prefix in the network.

Hence, even though the prefix is not assumed to appear in the wire, defining this does effect on what bits can(not) be used in the wire.

--Pekka Nikander