At 07:58 PM 15/11/2005, Pekka Nikander wrote:
David,

IMHO, every identifier ends up being routed, at least in some
context.

If they are routed, they are not identifiers.  They are locators.

An identifier simply names the object.  It might enable
connectivity on a non-routed infrastructure, e.g., a local LAN, and
if you want to call this 'being routed', then your comment could be
considered accurate, but in a rather pointless sense.

I think Christian's point here is that one man's identifiers are
other man's locators.  All depends on your point of view, or layer
what you are looking at.

My apologies, but this is getting a little spaced out in terms of being able to understand where you are heading here.

My point of view is, i thought, pretty simple. I am looking at routers that forward packets according to a precisely defined matching algorithm between the contents of the packet's destination address field and the forwarding table in the router. What we used to call "addresses".

Where exactly are you looking?

regards,

 Geoff