Christian,

IMHO, every identifier ends up being routed, at least in some context.

I think I fully agree with you, but IMHO we need to be very careful about the terminology here. For example, I can easily imagine an overlay network, running on the top of the current IP network, using DHTs to "route" flat identifiers. If we want to call that kind of "application-layer" forwarding routing, then I fully agree.

For example, there is a good case that on a disconnected ad hoc network, it makes more sense to use the identifiers you have than to create some new addresses. Indeed, if one is willing to have individual host entries
in a routing table, then one can use any identifier.

I concur. But as you well know, that does not scale. Once your ad hoc network grows to a size where clustering becomes a necessity, you can no longer use fixed flat identifiers for routing purposes. [Note that I am not saying that you need hierarchically organised addresses; more desirable would probably be dynamically assigned locators that encode clustering information in some better-than- hierarchically-assigned way.]

--Pekka