I agree. I think any allocation should be considered experimental, particularly since there is a possibility that the identifiers might become longer in the future. However, it is also possible that 128 bit identifiers might become standard practice. At this point, we don't really know.

           jak

----- Original Message ----- From: "Erik Nordmark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pekka Nikander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Christian Huitema" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Internet Area" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <ipv6@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Re: KHIs and SHA-256

Pekka Nikander wrote:

Geoff, to quote my longer message
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg05900.html,
"I fully agree with you that a new identifier name space should not be mixed with any existing locator space." Hence, from what I called "an ideal architectural point of view", I agree with what you write above, with the difference that I don't see need for any registries. Statistical uniqueness seems to be enough.

I think it would be wise to reserve from space for identifiers in the 128-bit IPv6 space, whether they are statistically unique or whether they have internal hierarchy. The KHI draft seems to assume that we would only ever need 128 identifiers that have no internal hierarchy, which seems short-sighted as best, given how little we know about the feasibility of doing lookups in flat very large spaces.

One thing I didn't understand from the KHI draft is how we can remove the use of these identifiers if they are successful. If folks use them (meaning that they appear in the appropriate places in the DNS, and that stacks know what is an identifier vs. a locator based on the prefix), how would they disappear from use? Is the assumption that the applications would switch to some other API which explicitly passes HIs or HITs? I don't see much benefits to move the applications to use the existing APIs (e.g., connect()) with a KHI, to some other API which passes a 128-bit HIT without a KHI prefix.
So I must be missing something.

  Erik