Thanks for all the comments.

I'm not sure what different the intermediate routers would have to do,
if anything. I suppose they would have to know to "ignore the private IP
address option in the IP header."

Yes, I do understand that this is not IPv6. It's a way of tackling the
address space problem without depending on a new version of IP or even
on a new address format.

And it allows for global address expansion without even bothering to
request addresses from anyone. I don't think this last feature is
available with any other scheme I've seen so far?

Bert