Rao Shoaib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 06/06/2006 06:33:48 PM:

> >Hello,
> >
> > Just wanted to add that in our TCP/IP implementation, the instance
> identifies an endpoint to a
> >network management application.  We created a proprietary SNMP table
> >that augments udpEndpointEntry, so we could provide counter statistics
> >(datagrams, octets) for the endpoints.  So if a management app is
> >polling the UDP endpoint information, it uses the instance to recognize
> >updated counters for an endpoint.  We increment the instance value
> >for each new endpoint.
>
> How do you assign an instance id and what do you do about reuse and roll over.

We maintain an unsigned 32-bit integer which we increment for each new UDP endpoint.  The value is initialized to 1 when our TCP/IP implementation is started.  By "rollover", do you mean the counter wraps? If so, the value could rollover if a particular instance of the TCP/IP stack remains active for a long period of time.  The value remains associated with the endpoint until the socket closes.  Our implementation does not reuse values.

------

Kristine Adamson
IBM z/OS Communications Server: TCP/IP Development
Internet e-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]