> No, but I think it would be worthwhile to find out what real implemenations
> do.

As replied in a separate message (not from me), BSDs separate the
processing of an RA prefix wrt address configuration from the
processing of the prefix wrt on-link determination.

Specifically,

A. if a BSD host receives an containing prefix P/x with the L flag
   on, it installs a direct route P/x to the receiving interface,
   indicating Neighbor Discovery (NS/NA) is necessary for destinations
   covered by the prefix.
B. if a BSD host receives an containing prefix P/x with the A flag on,
   it configures the interface with the address P:I (I is some
   interface identifier)

A and B are done separately and independently, and processing B does
not involve any direct route creation.

So, if a BSD host receives a prefix P/x with the L flag off and A flag
on, it configures the receiving interface with the address P:I/128.
Since there is no direct route for the prefix P/x, any packet to
destinations covered by the prefix (except P:I) will be sent to the
default router (if any).

> Unless an IETF standard has specific RFC 2119 languge in it, your milage
> can vary.

That is true in general, and it's not specific to RFC2461 (or
2461bis).  The semantics of the L bit might be clearer, but I
personally believe the L bit processing is widely interpreted as
described above.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.