From: Julien Laganier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 1:43 AM
To: James Kempf
Subject: Re: [netlmm] Multilink Subnet Considerations for NETLMM
Addressing

Hi James,

Just for clarification.

On Thursday 24 August 2006 20:04, James Kempf wrote:
> Fred,
>
> I don't think this quite captures the situation.
>
> [...]
>
> Secondly, exactly what is meant by 'L=0' is underspecified by RFC
> 2461. I think everyone agrees with 'L=1' means, that the prefix is
> only being advertised to nodes that are on this physical link. Any
> effort to tighten up the definitoin of  'L=0' is going to need
> wider discussion with the ipv6 WG and possibly might impact
> RFC2461bis. This draft is currently in AD Evauation:Revised Draft
> Needed.
>
> [...]

I wouldn't say that 'L=0' semantic is underspecified. I on the
opposite found 2461 to be quite well specified. It says:

   Note, however, that a Prefix Information option
   with the on-link flag set to zero conveys no information concerning
   on-link determination and MUST NOT be interpreted to mean that
   addresses covered by the prefix are off-link.

That is, it doesn't mean that *all* nodes are off-link. Some might,
while some might not. But it clearly specifies what the node should
do in that case.

   The default behavior (see
   Section 5.2) when sending a packet to an address for which no
   information is known about the on-link status of the address is to
   forward the packet to a default router;

i.e. send packets to the default router.

What do you think is underspecified?

--julien