Hi Sasson,
It should be 2. the MTU of the NIC device on the link (assuming it is properly configured). You can certainly use 1280 bytes as an MTU but if you link can support substantially larger MTU, it is inefficient to use 1280.

Cheers
Suresh

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all, as we all know Link Local addresses and communicating through them are
a must in an IPv6 environment. Without it Neighbor Discovery will not work and
so address resolution.
Our system enables one to set an MTU for and IPv6 address. So it is very much
possible to set the MTU also for the Link Local IPv6 address.
The question I have for this forum is what is the MTU value that should be set
for this Link Local address?

Possibilities:

1.      1280 --- the reason is that this value would guarantee a Neighbor
Discovery operation since all devices must support at least this MTU.
2.      The MTU of NIC device associated with this Link Local --- All of the
Neighbor Discovery messages (even the future ones) are guaranteed to be less
than 1280 so I shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for your answers!
Shuki

Shuki Sasson Principal Engineer, Network Storage Group EMC² where information lives Fax: 508 305 9026 Phone: 508 305 8515 Cell: 617 834 4258 Pager: 877 919 0794 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]