Why can't the BS simply filter the RA? It looks at the IP packet header, if the packet was sent to All Hosts Multicast and it's ICMP RA it drops that packet for those mobile nodes that are dormant.

           jak

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pars Mutaf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "James Kempf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Erik Nordmark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <ipv6@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:25 AM
Subject: Re: Proposal to change aspects of Neighbor Discovery

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 20:02 +0200, Pars Mutaf wrote:
Hello,

The issue was raised again in 16ng, so I'm trying to help
moving forward on this issue. (I dropped out my dormant mode
reliability concerns for future work, but I hope this has
complemented the discussion.)

I have a couple of comments on the signaling analysis made
by Erik and James:

IMHO the comparison of RS/RA signaling vs unsolicited/periodic
RA is incomplete. At the IP layer, the cost RS/RA is clearly
twice the cost of unsolicited/periodic RA. I agree. This
doubles the load on the AR's interface (if I understand
correctly).

However, at the link layer the situation is inversed
(especially on wireless links). Most of the unsolicited RAs
trigger paging (say 90% of them). This means that most of
the unsolicited/periodic RAs trigger N paging messages, plus
the paging protocol exchange messages, plus the RA. In addition,
the resource being consumed is the paging channel, which is
scarce. But I ignore the exact paging packet sizes.

As for the RA filtering possibility:

Filtering at the base stations may not be enough. Filtering should
be done at link-layer paging agents (I'm using the generic term).
Otherwise, the paging agent will unnecessarily generate N messages
(per RA), which will later be dropped by the base stations. Filtering
should also be made at the base stations. Because some of the RAs
will trigger paging, the others won't.

hi,

While talking with a colleague, we have realized that paging by
the BS isn't possible in fact (I don't remember who proposed it,
it looked like an anonymous magic solution).
Because, when the BS receives a link-layer paging message, it
cannot figure out whether:

1/ The paging message was triggered by an incoming session, or
2/ The paging message was triggered by a periodic RA.

In conclusion, if filtering of the periodic RAs is considered as
the best solution (not my argument), it should be done at the
paging agent. This is not only more optimal (as I argued above),
this is the only solution.

The BS can of course filter the RA after paging, but it's too
late. The host is woken up, the paging bandwidth is consumed.

(UIMS, this point also applies to 16ng, and when paging agent = AR.)

pars

In addition to other comments, my personal suggestion to the
authors would be: not only focusing on the energy cost but also
the paging cost, and resubmitting the draft. The solution is also
unclear. The RAs should be turned OFF, or the RA interval should
be increased? Which one? If they are not necessarily turned OFF,
they should be spread over time to avoid paging channel congestion.
This argument also applies to the current maximum period (30min).
But precisely how they are spread?

My two cents.

pars

ps: On more point. If the proposal is made for 16ng, the number of
hosts in the subnet reported by Raj, which was several hundred
thousands (in the context of 3GPP) does not apply probably. In
16ng, there will probably be only one paging area under the AR (not
sure yet). In this case, if filtering is considered as the best
solution, it can work at the BS. Because the AR is the paging agent.