Hi Vlad,

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 18:22, Vlad Yasevich
wrote:
> > So, yes, there is a reason to prefer a configured
> > address over a stateless autoconf one. Same
> > argument applies with DHCPv6 configured addresses.
>
> [...]
>
> Also, this preference really depends on the usage
> cases.  I can see scenarios, where I would rather use
> autoconfigured address over the DHCP or manually
> assigned one.
>
> [...]
>
> The concern I have is someone else may find the
> above preference backwards and may want to always
> prefer autoconf addresses over DHCP or statically
> configured.  This is a policy matter and you are
> proposing to encode it into the rules without
> ability to change.

Would privacy be the reason why such someone would
prefer autoconf addresses over DHCP or statically
configured addresses?

Would adding to the proposed new rule a statement
similar to those of Source Address Selection Rule 4
(Prefer home addresses) and 7 (Prefer public
addresses) as below solve your concern?

Implementations SHOULD/MUST provide a mechanism
allowing an application to reverse the sense of this
preference [...] (e.g., via appropriate API
extensions). Use of the mechanism should only affect
the selection rules for the invoking application [...]
Implementations for which [insert reason here] MAY
reverse the sense of this rule [...]

Best,

--julien