From: Stig Venaas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 4:48 PM
To: Bernie Volz (volz)
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: address selection and DHCPv6

Bernie Volz (volz) wrote:
> I would think that how an address is assigned shouldn't enter into
this.
> I can't see that it matters.
>
> What really matters is the lifetimes associated with the address. The
> longest lifetime address is probably the best to use since it is the
> most stable. [Ignoring privacy and other related issues.]

That's sort of what I thought at first as well. But if you use remaining
lifetime (and not the initial) you might easily end up in situations
where you fluctuate between several addresses. Not so good.

As an example, imagine two routers regularly sending RAs for one prefix
each, then you might end up always using the prefix you last got an RA
for, possibly changing every few seconds depending on the adv. rate.

Stig