Gray, Eric writes:
> --> The question is not to get an absolutely stable address,
> --> but to make sure that in case multiple addresses are defined,
> --> the one with the highest likelyhood of stability is selected.
>
>       When you say "highest likelihood of stability" - is what
> you really mean "stability is under the control of the entity
> who most feels the consequences of instability"?
>
>       It seems debatable (to me) that an assigned address might
> change many times more often than a derived address, but (it also
> seems to me) the entity that controls assignment is also the one
> that has to deal with the consequences...

That seems to me to be a mostly fair analysis of the issue.

If you wanted to avoid the words "highest likelihood of stability" for
the case of DHCPv6 alone, I think you might express it as "least
number of bits specified by the client alone."

Stability is still (to me) an important issue, as it distinguishes
more broadly across manually-configured as well as temporary
addresses.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>