Hi,

On Feb 5, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Durand, Alain wrote:

I would like to ask what is the transition plan for "legacy" IPv6 hosts that do not implement this extension before I could consider this draft
a viable approach.

RFC2461, Section 4.2 says the following about new options:

      Future versions of this protocol may define new option types.
      Receivers MUST silently ignore any options they do not recognize
      and continue processing the message.

Any legacy host that didn't support the new option also wouldn't know how to support anything defined in the extension space. So I don't think there is a problem with legacy hosts.

We have a number of bits that are currently defined that may be
questionable,
(the best example: O & M), so I would like to see some more
justification
why more bits are needed for the general RA case and maybe some clean-up
of the current bits before we embark into defining a new space for
potentially questionable new cases.

The intent of the draft was to document in one place all of the current bits and provide a way of creating new ones.

In my personal view, any discussion cleaning up the RA bits would take a very long time (based on the time it took for the w.g. to agree on the current text on the O&M bits), so I see very little value in trying to clean up the bits. Further, back to your first question, cleaning up the bits would create a significant operational problem.

Bob

So, at this point, I do not support this draft.

  - Alain.