Fred:

>As to Suresh's issue, I don't see it as necessary to check
>self-generated addresses to be sure they do not encode the
>ISATAP "magic number", since self-generated addresses cannot
>be assigned on ISATAP interfaces, and ISATAP addresses
>cannot be assigned on ordinary IPv6 interfaces. Hence,
>there is no ambiguity and no need for a special registry.

That makes the most sense so far.

So, that removes ISATAP addresses from consideration.

It does not however leave the all-zero's interface-identifier as that
has special meaning (see RFC 4291, 2.6.1.  Required Anycast Address). If
that is all, then draft-ietf-ipv6-privacy-addrs-v2-05.txt should state
that instead of the vague "Compare the generated identifier against a
list of reserved interface identifiers ...".

The draft could retain that language, as long as it defined what this
reserved list was. Leaving it unspecified just causes folks to wonder
what the list might be -- hence my original suggestion for having it an
IANA managed list.

- Bernie

To correct myself, we verified under Microsoft Windows Vista
that the ISATAP interface sets the "u" bit to 1 when the
node is configured with a public IPv4 address and sets the
"u" bit to 0 when the node is configured with a private IPv4
address. Hence, there is no change to the text of RFC4214.

As to Suresh's issue, I don't see it as necessary to check
self-generated addresses to be sure they do not encode the
ISATAP "magic number", since self-generated addresses cannot
be assigned on ISATAP interfaces, and ISATAP addresses
cannot be assigned on ordinary IPv6 interfaces. Hence,
there is no ambiguity and no need for a special registry.

Fred
[EMAIL PROTECTED]