Markku,

Please see in line below against "<hs>".

-----Original Message-----
From: Markku Savela [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:43 AM
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Sending traffic to default router when RA has no PIO

> Well, this is exactly the problem with host implementations we are
> concerned with. The prefix list is being populated with a prefix when
> the list should not be populated.

As an implementor IPv6 stack, I say that I had no problem understanding
the L & A bits in prefix announcements.

<hs> We are not saying a host implementer cannot get it right. We are
saying some don't. We have found a popular host implementation to be
blatantly ignoring off-link indication in RA. Further, hosts are most
confused for data forwarding and address resolution when no PIO is sent
in RA. That is what we focused on in section 2.1 of our I-D.

Just have to verify... You are aware about the "onlink assumption when
no routers present" rule? Early RFC had some wording about that host
must assume any address is onlink, when no routers are present (or was
it "when no route for the destination is found, then try assuming it's
onlink").

<hs> Please refer to bullet 6, section 2 of our I-D where we discuss
this case. The case of a network in which no routers are present is
covered by text in the bullet. If no routers are present, the Default
Router List will be empty. Our text says "If the Default Router List is
empty, the host MUST NOT assume that all destinations are on-link..."
The corresponding text has changed from 2461 to 2461bis.  We are aware
that there are some implementations which may be compliant with 2461
that are not compliant with 2461bis.

Thanks,

- Hemant & Wes.