The risk to the DFZ of leaking ULA-* {routes, packets, whatever} keeps coming up on this list. I thought I'd try to address just that problem in isolation, just to see whether I'm hearing things right. Please attack the following.

1. With PI address space there is an expectation of global utility (or, reachability across the DFZ, or however you want to describe "useful on the Internet"). I said expectation, not guarantee.

2. With ULA-* address space there would be no expectation of global utility. In fact, there would be an expectation that the addresses are for local use only (for some definition of "local").

3. There is doubt that any ULA-* address space would be kept properly local in all cases. In fact, there is an expectation that {routes, packets, something} would leak.

4. If some leaks are tolerated, then maybe, eventually, all leaks will be tolerated. Let's assume that will happen, just to see where it takes us.

5. If everybody has non-PA addresses (be they PI or ULA-*) and they are all leaked to the Internet, then the DFZ will suffer state explosion.

6. If operators can distinguish between should-be-local addresses (ULA-*) and allowed-to-be-global addresses (PI) in ASICs then operators can filter in order to head off the cataclysm looming in (5).

7. Since people were told up-front that their ULA-* addresses were no good for use on the Internet, step (6) shouldn't cause anybody to lock and load their lawyers.

(6) and (7) above ring true for ULA-* but not for PI-for-all. So, ULA- * would not harm the DFZ in the way that PI-for-all might harm the DFZ.

Joe