I guess we can agree to disagree.

I think fundamentally keeping the two things completely different will
be a far better way for people to think about this. There are
implementations that have assumed a /64 for DHCP assigned (or manually
configured) addresses when no prefix information was available
otherwise. That is clearly wrong. (A /128 is OK.)

I think "subnet mask going along with an interface address is deeply
ingrained in the way IP is implemented" is a very true statement for
IPv4. Let's not make that same assumption in IPv6, please.

---

All I was trying to clarify is that if you want to work in all IPv6
networks, you need BOTH SLAAC and stateful (DHCPv6). If you don't
implement both, you may not be able to do much on some networks (because
if they are stateless and you don't support that, you won't be able to
assign anything but a link-local address; or if they are stateful and
you don't suppor that, you may not be able to get a global address).

---

In today's world, one would hope that adding a DHCPv6 client would not
be adding a significant amount of code. The DHCPv6 client's logic isn't
that complex. Sure, it is one more thing to implement and test, but it
can't exactly take up a huge amount of memory.

- Bernie