James,

Wrt to what you asked as follows put within square brackets by me
followed by my reply.

[On a related note, I've heard that some operators intend to deploy DHCP
service using RA with M=1 and no PIO.  I don't understand how
they imagine the "on-link flag" to be propagated in that scenario.
The "on-link flag" seems to be clearly in the domain of router function,
not dynamic node configuration.  Is that to be described in the
forthcoming Internet draft?]

In an aggregation router network, all host behind broadband modems are
always off-link as we have explained in this mailer - see one of my
emails.

So there is NO NEED to propagate any on-link flag is such a network.

The physical connectivity of such networks prohibits hosts behind modems
to talk directly to each other even when a pair of hosts are in the same
link. The hosts have to send their traffic to the aggregation router.
That is why IPv6 hosts in an aggregation router deployment are always
off-link. So how does one signal off-link in RA? One way is to send no
PIO in RA. See section 2.1 of our I-D for how this signals off-link, and
under what conditions, and for what IPv6 addresses (link-local or
non-link-local addresses). Our I-D is at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wbeebee-nd-implementation-pitf
alls-02.txt

Do read section 3 of our I-D that described aggregation routed
deployments.

While I have everyone here, when will folks agree that some cases for
on-link determination are not clear in 2461bis and such cases need to be
clarified - that is the reason we wrote the I-D above. If on- vs.
off-link is not clear, data forwarding and address resolution of
behavior of hosts gets affected - these are key features of a host
operation and hence on- vs. off-link should be crystal clear! Maybe our
late-breaking I-D was a bad timing for 2461bis authors, but the facts
still remain that our I-D is worth an Implementation Guideline and be
considered as a WG item for v6man. That is why we have also collected
some bugs in IPv6 ND implementation and listed them in section 7 of our
I-D keeping the format of the bugs ala RFC 2525.

Do humor me and let I and Wes know how many other ways exist for an RA
to be specified to signal off-link mode to hosts?

Hemant