> From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > Avoiding DAD doesn't sound like a good goal to me.  It means that the
> > system _assumes_ that the rest of the world is perfect and never has
> > any problems.
>
> Let me rephrase: making DAD more efficient. If there's a DHCP server
> present that knows about all addresses anyway, then obviously the
> DHCP server is capable of determining whether two nodes are trying to
> use the same address, which is probably more efficient than hosts
> doing DAD for each address.

I wouldn't trust DHCP server totally -- I've had my run of broken(?)
DHCP setups, which do give address that is already use (probably some
DHCP proxy issue). The life saver was that host did DAD, detected
duplicate and asked another address, all was fine.... until it
happened that the other address too was in use and host was stuck
because DHCP kept giving the same two alternate addresses.

I would do DAD by default on any configured address, regardless
of the way it was selected (manual, DHCP or whatever).

Even with IPv6 I see many ways of getting DCHP servers view of
addresses currently in use getting out of synch ("intelligent
switches" might be one cause, when host is moved from one segment to
another, and switch routes by learned MAC incorrectly ...)