On Dec 5, 2007 2:39 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ULA is LOCAL.
>
> It has nothing to do with PI.

sort of correct... I believe the fear here is that if you are in a
world of provider-assigned ip space without any simple hope for
renumbering you will look for ULA-x as a 'no renumbering' solution and
try to find some form of NAT initially that will make this all work
for you with minimal work. If NAT is no longer avaialble and you have
a /48 in ULA-x space that is 'yours' why can't you ask your provider
to route that for you? and all of his peers/customers to do the same?
This could lead to a very large pool/use of ULA-x in 'public' places
in a short period of time. I'm not sure that the Internet today is
ready to accommodate that sort of route growth. (this goes somewhat to
the point below as well)

> People need address space to number the links between their SQL and
> web servers. This is completely orthogonal to address space used on
> the internet.

this is also sort of correct. I think that ULA and the like come from
the mentality that in the ipv4 world people numbered lots of
'internal' things out of 1918 space, following that line of logic
people will want to use 'private' space on internal networks in the
ipv6  world as well. They'll also want to, in most cases, have that
space NAT'd to the real world... perhaps not NAT, perhaps some other
equivalent technology, but still a 'private' address in the end.

When I last lobbied for a ULA-x type of option it was for this very
sort of thing, 'internal networks' that might later be connected to
other 'internal networks' and thus I thought that ULA-C might make the
most sense. I think that this all skips over a very real issue which
is 'how does your host/router/blah handle having more than one address
and how does it decide which to use when?' coupled with that is the
'do users want to manage more than one address going forward and all
of the associated foo with that?
(dhcp/dns/service-binding/firewalls/acls/policy-foo/etc)'

I think that somewhere we ought to find the requirement for ULA before
creating something like this. Additionally, without a reasonable
solution for how enterprises deal with their current numbering issues
(multihoming, internal address+NAT) the ULA-x discussion is going to
be mostly headless and directionless...

-Chris