Suresh Krishnan wrote:

Please do not suggest anything remotely close to this. The v4 mapped v6 address space is for API compatibility purposes only (i.e. use AF_INET6 with v4 addresses). These addresses should never ever appear on the wire.

Never say never. RFC 2765 - a proposed standard - do send them on the wire.

Whether this is a good or bad idea is a different matter - I just wanted to point out we have a PS on the books which uses them.

   Erik

For more information see section 2.2 of RFC4942 and draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful-02.txt (expired draft - google it)

Cheers
Suresh