From: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 12:16 PM
To: Thomas Narten
Krishnan; Josh Littlefield (joshl)
Subject: RE: Here is the reference to 6.3.4 text that is ambigious text

Thomas,

Thanks for this email. First, here is a running list of why we think our
on-and-off-link draft should exist.

1. We presented to the IPv6 community that RFC 4861 does not include in
section 8.3, a case for when Redirect does not include Target Link-layer
address option (TLLAO). Such a Redirect is common to be encountered in
an IPv6 network. Therefore either a 4861bis discusses it or our draft
does.

2. Since Redirect can suggest a better first-hop that could be on- or
off-link, our intent is to dissect Redirect more carefully because we
have found
   show stopper issues with on- vs. off-link determination in an
aggregation routed network. We think we do provide ample evidence in
line below for our case of confusion related to on- vs. off-link in the
ND RFC.

3. We see hosts are confused between the boundary of what should DHCPv6
handle and dole out vs. what should ND handle and dole out. Can the
community show what text in RFC 3315 or RFC 4861 and 4862 defines such
boundaries or the justification for such boundaries - this is a
deployment that includes both a DHCPv6 server and an IPv6 default
router. Our draft is defining such boundaries, although that is not the
primary intent of our draft. An example of hosts being confused about
this boundary is shown in bug 2.3 of our ND implementation draft -
draft-wbeebee-nd-implementation-problems-00.

Now, please see in line below for our responses included between <hs>