Dear Julien,

Just putting my thoughts and comments are welcome.  I had an opportunity to
work on providing IPv6 capability for a tape library appliance.  We were
unable to strongly conclude the needed IPv6 requirements for that box.  The
main requirement for a IPv6 node is stateless auto configuration and the
optional functionalities are stateful auto configuration and gateway
configuration. Based on the level of IPv6 functionality a device needs, the
IPv6 requirements increase.  If the device needs the IPv6 just for the point
to point (master-slave) communication, then just the link local address
would be sufficient and I guess the auto config of a global address is not
needed.

Hence from my thoughts, the workgroup could first define the minimum and
maximum IPv6 functionalities of the a constrained device.  This would help
device makers to classify whether the IPv6 capable device that is being
developed is a constrained device or a fully capable IPv6 node, and
accordingly choose the needed functionalities.

Regards,
Arul Kumar C
-~-

On 1/16/08, Julien Abeillé <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as a follow up of discussions around 6lowpan and ISA100 standardization,
> the people in cc and myself are starting an effort to identify minimum ipv6
> requirements for a constrained device (e.g. a sensor), so that ipv6 can be
> brought to such device. This work would be closely bound to implementation
> experiments.
>
> This has been discussed a bit within 6lowpan and I know a thread was
> started in 6man around RFC4294 update. What we would like to clarify is how
> this work could fit in IETF, in which WG, with whom, as well as the scope
> and process for this effort.
>
> We would appreciate your feedback on this topic.
>
> Best regards,
> Julien Abeille
>

> --
>
> *Julien Abeille*
> *Software Engineer*
> *Technology Center
> *
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Phone: *+41 21 822 1696*
> Mobile: *+41 79 617 8881*
> Fax: *+41 21 822 1604*
>
> *Cisco Systems International Sarl*
> Avenue des Uttins 5
> 1180 Rolle
> Switzerland (FR)
> Cisco home page <http://www.cisco.com/>
>
>      [image: Think before you print.] Think before you print. This e-mail
> may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the
> intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is
> strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to
> receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
> delete all copies of this message.

<<spacer.gif>>

<<green.gif>>

<<footer.gif>>