Suresh Krishnan wrote:

> Section 2 Step 5.3
> ==================
>
> "When address resolution fails, the host SHOULD send an ICMPv6
> Destination Unreachable message."
>
> Where should the node send this message. Isn't it enough to indicate to
> the requesting application that the destination is not reachable using
> some kind of indication?

This is just restating what ICMPv6 says about sending icmp unreachables
with code "address unreachable".

I suspect an host implementation when it is know that the packet was
generated locally (i.e., TCP, UDP, etc sent the packet down to the IP
layer) might instead use some implementation specific mechanism to
deliver the error. But that would be a local matter not covered by any
IETF standard.

    Erik